Tips on using the MSD
Printing a Branch Roster
Any member can log in to the AAUW Member Services Database (MSD, from the Member Center) and find the roster for her/his branch. However, if you are a branch officer, you may also want to print a roster in a more friendly format or use the MSD info to print mailing labels, or a directory.
To use this for your branch
- Login to the Member Services Database
- Go to the Branch Roster section
- At the bottom of the page click the Download button to "Download this branch member roster in comma delimited format (.CSV)."
- Note the directory where it is saved.
If you don't see the Download button, you'll have to check with one of the other branch officers (president, treasurer, membership vp(?)) to have them download the file. The president can also give you access by naming you co-treasurer for the purposes of the application.
- Download the MS Word branch roster template
- Open the file in MS Word.
- You will be prompted to select a recipient list. Browse to the CSV file that you downloaded above and select that as your recipient list.
- From the Tools Menu, select Letters and Mailings, and Mail Merge Wizard to turn on other options for setting up your directory.
- Go through the steps of the wizard to create the file with your branch's data
- Save/print the final file.
Feel free to edit the template to suit your needs (change the header, footer, format of a member record, etc.). If you have a template that you'd like to recommend to other branches, feel free to upload it here.
- You can edit the downloaded file in a text editor or a spreadsheet. You may want to make modifications before printing.
- There is some information (e.g. business e-mail) that's in the branch roster display but not in the downloaded file. [Reported as MSD Bug: ticket #702]. You may want to account for that and any other data your branch normally puts in the directory (degree info, birthday, spouse's name) by using another spreadsheet to hold that data and combining the two using an Excel function like VLOOKUP.
- Notes above are for Word XP. If you're using another version, the menus and prompts may be slightly different.
- If anyone has a directory that works with OpenOffice Writer (or another free tool), please contact Nancy